Saturday, January 4, 2014

Putting forth some token effort

One of the nice non-miniature items that came out of the Empire of the Dead Kickstarter from West Wind Productions was the sheet of laser-cut steampunk counters.

In addition to the precut sheet of card or very thin wood or whatever it is, it came with plastic tokens to which one attaches the actual counter. (One can be seen atop the sheet below in the lower left corner.) There's also a translucent, small d6 in the bag. Very cute!




So given that state of my vision and my accelerating decrepitude, once I get these goodies on the table I want to be able to see them better. They're wonderfully etched, or burned, or whatever magical process was used to inscribe them, with both a letter and a word indication the counter's meaning. But I know standing over a table, even if I have my new bifocals on, I likely won't be able to read the full word. So let's make the letter as visible as possible.

To that end, I picked up a Minwax Stain Marker at the local big-box store (for about $5) the other night. I chose "Early American," mainly because they only other marker color they had in stock was "Ebony," which was a lot darker than I wanted to go for. I still want these counters to evoke the polished wood-and-brass ethos that steampunk is so known for.



I did these fairly quickly, knowing that, as deft a hand as I am with a chisel-tipped marker, that I still wouldn't be able to totally keep the stain within the lines. I know my limitations!

So here are some progress shots. First, I've darkened only the first row, to show you the improvement in contrast.



Now, I've done all the letters once.



And here, although there's scant difference, I have gone over the letters a second time.



Next I plan to grab a can or real, honest-to-God wood stain and do the whole sheet. Probably just a "Natural" tone, to keep the contrast, maybe a "Golden Oak" or "Golden Pecan." I'll have to wait until next week to do that though, when I've reclaimed a little more space to work in.

Then I'll glue the plastic tokens to the counters and viola!, we'll have a full set of the little buggers.

Back to the boards, everyone, and I'll see you across the table soon!

8 comments:

  1. Good Idea I was considering doing this as it is quite faint. what sort of glue are you going to use to glue the plastic counters to the wooden etched part?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon, I'm planning on using some Gorilla Glue I have, but it does concern me that the wood-plastic connection could be kind of brittle. We'll see, and I'll let you know how it turns out.

      Delete
    2. Is that like superglue? What worried me was the white misting you sometimes get when you use a large amount.

      Delete
    3. The type I have on hand is a gel superglue, although Gorilla Glue makes several varieties. I'll keep an eye out for the condition you mention, but I hope it's not going to be a problem.

      Delete
  2. The before and after difference in the counters is obvious and you've achieved a very good contrast.
    Good luck on the glueing front, though I'm sure you know what your doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see if I know what I'm doing or not. It IS an area of concern, but I guess there's no way to be sure but to dive in and try!

      Delete
  3. They look much better now. Is adding the plastic tokens necessary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably so. What you can't tell from my photos, Robert, is how thin that wood/card sheet really is. Handling it even as lightly as I have has several of the counters nearly popped loose of their moorings already. So I would say yes, if you're going to be handling them much. Having the plastic token backing the wood counter should make them easier to pick up from the table, too. If I had an excess of them here at home, I'd just attach them to 25mm plastic bases and be done with it, to give them some real added heft and height, but I'll go with the tokens as provided by West Wind right now.

      Delete