Monday, November 11, 2013

The prodigal returns

Kill the fatted calf, let bells ring in the marketplace, for the prodigal has returned. While you're killing the fatted calf, do something about his fatted thighs and flabby buttocks as well. Someone sic Jillian Michaels on him quick.

Can one be a prodigal blogger? Is that allowed? Or grammatically correct? Or painful in some way?

Although I have continued to be my usual active self over on Facebook, I had not realized for how long I have allowed these fields to lie fallow, and for that I am truly sorry, my dedicated followers. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima, maxima culpa.

Part of the problem, I suspect, is that I tend to think of Facebook as suitable for more off-the-cuff observations, for passing on posts of others I enjoy, for the daily detritus that distracts us from the drudgeries of work. I tend to think of this blog as for more "official" posts of original content or of my reviews/unboxings/observations about the hobby items I have recently purchased.

I need to seek a happy medium between the two, because I know there are plenty of hobby items floating around out there on which I opine that would be perfectly suitable for inclusion here at "Dispatches," were I to post them up. I don't think anyone would complain were I to reach a more regular frequency of posts.

That being said, I will reveal that I do have two more short pieces of fiction in the hopper, as 'twere, one about our beloved Miss Rossum of Anthropomorphic Automatons fame, and one debuting the women of the Ladies Auxiliary and revealing their secret agenda.

Also I promised Brian Roe I'd post about the second wave of his excellent Zombie Plague Kickstarter minis, which I LOVE but have not yet taken adequate time with, nor have I secured good enough photos to share with you, my loyal readers. So look for those on Wednesday, shall we say, and then fiction by week's end? Deal? Deal.

And on this Veterans Day (or Remembrance Day if you're across the Atlantic from my current location), all thanks and honor to those who have served in the armed forces of their countries, those who fight the good fight for their homeland, for their kith and kin. May we most of all remember that, while courageous men and women go off to war and sacrifice so much during their service, may there come a day when war is no longer necessary and the only battles we fight are those we fight for enjoyment across the tabletop. I am proud to be an American and, though I did not get to serve in the military, I am proud of the service of both my grandfathers during wartime.

America is the land of the free, because of the brave.

Goodnight, cats and kittens. Sleep well.

10 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean Chris. I've come away from a lot of the facebook groups I was a member of as it was occupying far more if my time than I'd like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I didn't have such damn broad interests I might be able to give some of them up!

      Delete
  2. I've been looking forwards to this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, you have no idea how much your interest and encouragement mean to me. So, no pressure now, huh? Egad!

      Delete
  3. Nice to see you back Chris. Post when you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sean. Your support has always kept me going.

      Delete
  4. Facebook ah, that great eater of time, I now visit it as little as possible, but it still draws me in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We call it Remembrance Day in Canada as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Please pardon my lamentable oversight that it is called Remembrance Day by our neighbors to the north. Sorry! Other Commonwealth countries likely do the same, and I am not well informed enough to know. I'll do better next time and won't make that same mistake again.

      Delete