Saturday, August 16, 2014

Somer going this way, somer going that way


I finally got my Bayou Boss set of gremlins for Malifaux. It's got Som'er Teeth Jones, Lenny, four Bayou Gremlins and two Skeeters. 

Thankfully I live in an area which again has a wonderful brick-and-mortar game store, (Moxie Games, which I've mentioned before) so I was able to get hold of one of the sets heading to physical stores first, which contains the bonus Johana mini, a Rule 63 version of the renegade steamfitter Johan. Here's her card:


And here she is on the sprue. Malifaux continues with its "fiddly bits" obsession. Johana's face and the front of her head are one piece, and her hair and the back of her head are another. Huh?


Here's Som'er Teeth, the big hatted bossman of the Bayou Gremlins:


And now Lenny, the one with the glandular problem:


The four Bayou gremlins:


And the Skeeters. I've heard these can be very frustrating to build. Don't know particulars as to why, so I can't agree or disagree; as you see mine are still lying here unsevered from their home on the sprue. I'd imagine those legs fall under the "fiddly bits" category:


Here's what the whole sprue looks like. The Skeeters bit is separate:



Now, we all know that aquarium decorations make great terrain. I have a crumbling church wall that I plan to use as a photo background for my Church-aligned companies for IHMN, but I recently ran across something that I just had to have, even though I knew of no immediate use for it. I know I have a couple of steampunk divers, including one of Patrick Keith's Bombshell Babes, that might could use it. But I don't have a large collection for Antimatter's Deepwars or anything where it's an obvious fit. Maybe an object of veneration for Lovecraftian Deep Ones? Anyway, here it is:

"Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?"

They also make Squidward's moai house, too. Those two are easy to find at most places that sell aquarium supplies. Online you can find a whole range of other buildings if you wanted to recreate all of Bikini Bottom, including Patrick's rock, the Krusty Krab, the Chum Bucket, the bus, and even the Bikini Bottom Towers (although I think it's out of scale to the others, not sure.)

The opening is slightly over an inch high, so it won't look too weird with 28 mm minis, or even 35mm. Now I just need to pick up some inch-high SpongeBob and Squidward figures!

Well, that's it for today, cats and kittens. Thanks to those of you who were posting photos of all the goodies at Gencon this weekend.

Back to the boards, everybody, and I'll see you across the table soon.






5 comments:

  1. Awesome. How detailed are the plastic kits?

    Love spongebobs house thats just to funky not to have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some old metal Wyrd miniatures I've heard the plastics are fiddly and now I can see that they look like the might break during play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiddly, yes, but weak, I don't think so. Even just from handling them on the sprue, the plastic is substantial. It's definitely not the plastic you've encountered in older models. I just protest at needing tweezers and an Optivisor to assemble a man-sized figure.

      Delete
  3. I really like the look of the resurrectionist faction, for the zombies of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't a clue what your Teeeth-guy is all about,but I'll no doubt enjoy seeing the finished article.

    Aquarium stuffis the backbone of much wargame scenery, but the "pineapple" leaves me a little lost as to its posssible usage.

    ReplyDelete